Accessorize your kitchen with this adorable DIY Herb planter. Whether you are an avid chef or enjoy the smell of basil and rosemary this is the perfect project for you!
- Galvanized Metal Mud Trough (Can be Found at Ace Hardware)
- The Amy Howard At Home® Clean Slate™
- The Amy Howard At Home® Zinc Antiquing Solution™
- Amy Howard At Home® One Step Paint™ – French Blue
- Plastic Gloves
- Lint-free Rags
- Masking Tape
- “Herbs” Stencil
- Artist Brush
- Potting Soil
- Herbs (3-4 small plants)
1. Clean your piece with Amy Howard at Home® Clean Slate™.
2. Put your gloves on. Pour appropriate amount of The Amy Howard At Home® Zinc Antiquing Solution™ into a plastic, glass, or rubber bowl.
3. Gather your lint-free rag in a ball and dip the tip into the Zinc Solution until it is saturated. Before applying The Amy Howard At Home® Zinc Antiquing Solution™ to the metal, gently squeeze out the dripping excess from rag.
4. Evenly saturate entire surface of inside of mud trough with the zinc solution. Be mindful to never allow an area to be left with unattended drips. This could result in an undesirable patina pattern.
5. Once the entire surface of inside of mud trough has been evenly saturated, make a second pass over that entire surface. This time rub the Zinc Solution into the metal with a firm circular motion.
Pro tip: If there are areas you find you have missed, quickly go back and apply the solution there. You want to make sure your surface has 100% solution coverage as it cures.
6. As the solution begins to dry, you will see your galvanized metal change to a lighter color. If you desire a darker patina, simply apply more solution.
7. Repeat Steps 4-6 on outside of mud trough.
8. After surfaces have dried and cured, align “Herbs” Stencil and tape in place, and paint over stencil with the Amy Howard At Home® One Step Paint™ in French Blue with your artist brush.
9. After stenciled paint has dried, fill your planter with herb plants, adding potting soil as necessary to fill within ½” of the top of trough.
10. Enjoy the bragging rights!